8.17.2009

back to school


Every year I get a little sad at back to school time. It is a busy time of year, which I am glad about, but it is another set of kids that are grown and usually gone. College. It is a wonderful experience and all that jazz, but that is when my kids decide they can do without me. They get busy. They find someone new. Someone cooler, hipper, what ever word they are using this year. Anyway they outgrow me. Like the many prom pictures I have been promised in the past, I hear all about them but don't see them. I am not bitter. Just sad. Luckily for me there is always a new crop of fresh faced clients to see. So as I send kids off all over Kansas, Missouri, and else where, I start over. I got a great starter with this one. Seth is about to turn 1. He loves me. He thinks I am cool. Sure that is mostly from the promise of a treat but I will take it. The next few years will be full of wonderful new adventures and experiences. I will see Seth go to his first day of kindergarten. He will sulk in my chair full of pre-teen angst. Then one day he will be in for a hurried trim and tell me where he is going to college. I will smile and nod, and think....... Honey, I know you are going to K State. I gave you your first haircut there isn't much I don't know about you. For now I am just going to enjoy him thinking that with a haircut comes a sucker and that makes me the most awesome person in the world.

No comments: